Mont Blanc

Monday, February 20, 2012

Port Denarau, Fiji

This was a tender port for us, crew were able to get off around 11am. Jane and I got some lunch and wifi at the Hard Rock Cafe, very conveniently located about 10 steps from the pier. After lunch we wandered around the port area. Port Denarau is very contrived, obviously created solely for a tourist landing point. You have to take a taxi if you want to get to the nearest authentic town (Nadi). Wanting to see some of what was beyond the port, Jane and I paid 5 dollars each to take the "Bula Bus", Bula being the standard greeting or hello in Fijian. We were given the impression we would be taken on an island tour, but we were had - it was in all reality a shuttle bus between the port and the several closeby hotel resorts. So we got instead of the island, we got to tour the entrances to the Wyndham, Radisson, Westin, Sheraton, and Hilton. We also saw some lovely golf courses. I wouldn't say that I experienced the real Fiji by any means, but it was beautiful nonetheless. It was nice even just to get to ride around outside the port and enjoy the view. I can tell you that those resorts all looked lovely, if you're interested. We also saw some homes on the water that you could sail right up to. Their access roads were access waterways, absolutely stunning. Back in port we did some final shopping, some Fiji water for the road. Or the water? Hmmm....
------------------

1 comment:

Dewman said...

Hope you got to see some good things outside of the tourist trap area!