So we've had an interesting couple of days here... Yesterday we dropped anchor in Santorini around 10am, only to be told that due to high winds it wasn't safe to transport the guests ashore in the tender boats. So we pulled up anchor again and we gone by 10:30am. What was supposed to be a port of call became a quick photo opportunity, followed by another day at sea. We were cleared to go straight to our next port of call (Rhodes) early and dock overnight. So we arrived just before seven pm. While this really sucks for the guests because they were cheated out of Santorini, it was great for us. Rhodes is probably my most beloved port, and if not for this turn of events I never would have been able to see it at night. And so, after I played a jazz set Lisa and I went out and walked around for about an hour. It is a completely different place at night - much more serene and much less touristy. I really enjoyed it. My jazz set was only so/so...first I was sick, and then second Elliot Finkel himself decided to show up and sit right in front of me....which may well have been one of the most intimidating moments of my contract. I don't mind trying to play jazz in front of guests who don't know any better, but Elliot....wow. I dread to know what he thinks of me after hearing that. Yikes. I tried to act totally calm and comfortable, but inside I was cringing a bit.oh well, nothing I can do about it now. And the good news is, I only have one more jazz set to play, and then I'll have made it! I'm actually really proud of myself for doing something that is difficult for me and for getting better at it. I also had a good talk with Lisa while we walked, which calmed me down and gave me back some perspective. We actually talked until 2 in the morning last night - I feel a lot closer to her now.
Well, right now I'm actually in between shows - tonight it is my favorite again. :-) I love Claude-Eric's show....I know I've said that already. Anyway, I get to go do it again in 23 minutes. :-) We had a good first show.
Our new trumpet player Ernest is a decent player, although he is not as consistent as Ben was. He is a tall black guy, 28, with a really enthusiastic laugh. He's a great guy, although he seems caught off guard by what is required of him here. He will soon catch on, though. He has a good sound. He is very likeable, though I must admit that since I am leaving in 10 days I am much more motivated to enjoy what time I have left with my good friends here than to invest in much of a friendship with him. We get along fine, but I'm going to focus on taking advantage of the few remaining days I have here to enjoy the company of already close friends. Well, i really have to go now - I'm due to be backstage in 4 minutes! Yikes!
Oh, one more thing - tomorrow we go to Cyprus!! Yay!!!
Mont Blanc
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow, I discovered your blog on the very day you wrote it! I didn't notice on your itinerary that you have two new ports to visit this cruise. Cyprus should be very interesting. Egypt will be great on Saturday too. Enjoy...we'll see you in 10 or 11 days! Love, mom
Very much looking forward to seeing you soon. Have a great last week.
Post a Comment