We spent an amazing week in France! Our flight took only about an hour and a half from London to Geneva, Switzerland. From there we had booked a transfer to La Fayet station, where we were met by Andrea Robertson, Nick's aunt. She used to be Andrea Massey, my future name!! I love that. She drove us up the hills a little way on a winding road to the small town of Saint Gervais Les Bains. She and her husband Jon live in a gorgeous chalet that they bought in derelict condition and gave a complete makeover to. While the house itself is amazing, it is far surpassed by the views of the mountains on every side. They have a beautiful garden which Andrea keeps up and uses to supply Sunday flowers to the local church in Saint Gervais. Jon gave us a tour around the house, showing us everything they have done in it, including gazebo, swimming pool, wine cellar, cinema room, central vacuuming system, separate self-contained apartment and garage, and glass walled conservatory where we got to eat our meals with 180 degree views of the valley. Andrea spoiled us all week with home-cooked meals with fresh ingredients from the market in Saint Gervais. The market itself is on the main street in town, which we could walk to from their home.
Spending time with them and their daughter and granddaughter was wonderful, and we saw some amazing sights while we were there. Highest on the list was our trip up into the French Alps that we were staying at the base of. We drove over to the ski resort town of Chamonix, and took a cable car or "telepherique" up to a point in the mountains around Mont Blanc called the "Aguille du Midi". At the very top you are at an incredible elevation of over 12,000 feet, and yet Mont Blanc itself is still much higher than you! We also took another cable car that carries you suspended over the snow and glaciers, and tiny figures of hikers put the enormity of the scene into perspective. I can honestly say I have never seen mountains like this before in my life, and the views absolutely took my breath away.
Though we didn't climb Mont Blanc (this time!!), we did go on one major hike up near one of the glaciers that works its way down from the peak. As it was still early in the season, we found ourselves encountering ever-increasing patches of snow that we had to navigate through without the proper shoes, and bits of the path hadn't been fixed and maintained yet after the harsh winter. Despite some sticky moments, somehow we made it to our goal, but instead of retracing our steps, we walked along the more predictable and safe route of an old train track that is no longer in use. The views during the whole hike were just unbelievable. I love the wildness of the place and the freshness of the air.
Other things we got to do were to visit the towns of Evian, (yes, where the water is from!), Megeve, Yvoire, Chamonix, and Geneva itself (swiss chocolate....mmmm). What a great time!
I could say much more about France, but I don't want this to get too long, so I will move on! Yesterday I got the chance to meet a whole lot more of the Massey clan, at a Sunday barbecue they planned to get a chance to meet me before I leave. I met two other young ladies who have become Mrs. Massey's, one from Indian descent and one Czech. They each are married to Nick's cousins, and have a couple of kids each as well. I will be a Mrs. Massey soon! I loved meeting the whole family, they are all so relaxed and friendly. I will be lucky to be a part of the family.
Spending time with them and their daughter and granddaughter was wonderful, and we saw some amazing sights while we were there. Highest on the list was our trip up into the French Alps that we were staying at the base of. We drove over to the ski resort town of Chamonix, and took a cable car or "telepherique" up to a point in the mountains around Mont Blanc called the "Aguille du Midi". At the very top you are at an incredible elevation of over 12,000 feet, and yet Mont Blanc itself is still much higher than you! We also took another cable car that carries you suspended over the snow and glaciers, and tiny figures of hikers put the enormity of the scene into perspective. I can honestly say I have never seen mountains like this before in my life, and the views absolutely took my breath away.
Though we didn't climb Mont Blanc (this time!!), we did go on one major hike up near one of the glaciers that works its way down from the peak. As it was still early in the season, we found ourselves encountering ever-increasing patches of snow that we had to navigate through without the proper shoes, and bits of the path hadn't been fixed and maintained yet after the harsh winter. Despite some sticky moments, somehow we made it to our goal, but instead of retracing our steps, we walked along the more predictable and safe route of an old train track that is no longer in use. The views during the whole hike were just unbelievable. I love the wildness of the place and the freshness of the air.
Other things we got to do were to visit the towns of Evian, (yes, where the water is from!), Megeve, Yvoire, Chamonix, and Geneva itself (swiss chocolate....mmmm). What a great time!
I could say much more about France, but I don't want this to get too long, so I will move on! Yesterday I got the chance to meet a whole lot more of the Massey clan, at a Sunday barbecue they planned to get a chance to meet me before I leave. I met two other young ladies who have become Mrs. Massey's, one from Indian descent and one Czech. They each are married to Nick's cousins, and have a couple of kids each as well. I will be a Mrs. Massey soon! I loved meeting the whole family, they are all so relaxed and friendly. I will be lucky to be a part of the family.
No comments:
Post a Comment