Mont Blanc

Sunday, August 14, 2011

ABC's

Today I went to Above Bar Church (ABC) here in Southampton. I had walked past it a few times on past days here and seen their Sunday service advertised, and finally today we are here on a Sunday!! So after a morning breakfast at the Standing Order (an infamous seafarer's pub with free wifi) I wandered over to the church. You would never know a church is inside the block of shops and buildings, but inside a little door and up some stairs and I felt right at home in a packed and thriving church. I loved the music and the message, which I felt could have been speaking directly to me. Thanks for today, God! I also met quite a few really nice people that were so welcoming, two older couples, a retired navy chaplain, and some medical students who play in the band there.

Our dixieland set the other day was quite a hit! It went very well, and we got a standing ovation after the second show. The singers and dancers all came, and absolutely loved it. After the show they converged on me and were asking all sorts of questions about the trombone and the music style....I really felt like a star. My solos all went well. It was filmed, so I'm bringing a recording of it back with me. In fact, the night went so well that we will likely be forced to do it again next voyage. :-)

2 comments:

Yo Mama said...

I'm so glad that the church was a good worship experience. Looks like you'll be back in Southampton a few more Sundays before your contract is over. :-)

Dear ol' Dad said...

I'm glad God spoke directly to you. It means you have ears to hear. I'm also happy you got to be a dixieland star! Remember, you don't HAVE to play dixieland, you GET to play dixieland!