Mont Blanc

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Venice!!!

I finally got to see Venice!!! I was up early and out on deck to watch us sail into the harbor. It is incredible, we actually sail right past St. Mark's square. I got off the ship on my own, and decided, after a quick look at a posted map to get my general bearings, I would wander around without buying one and just allow myself to get lost in Venice, which I've heard is really the thing to do. So I took my time wandering in the direction of San Marco, exploring the narrow streets and canals and going whichever way I pleased, on my own time. It was a great way to experience the city for the first time. It is really stunning. I did a bit of shopping and came away with my very own Venetian masks, two of my favorites after looking in a dozen shops. I wanted to find one that I knew was made in Venice by a particular artist, and not imported from China for cheap tourist souvenirs. I love the ones I found, made by artist Gastaldi Amelio in Venice. After a few hours I finally reached the famous square, and took in the moment for a while. I saw a few people covered in pigeons, but didn't feel the urge to buy bread and place myself in a similar possibly dirty situation.

At that point I finally bought a map in preparation for the next part of the day - meeting up with my friends for lunch. Gianni, our resident handsome Italian drummer, had invited us to meet in San Margarita square for lunch at 1pm. Having no idea where to start I did buy a map, quickly realizing I had much further to go than I assumed, and raced across bridges and through narrow passageways for half an hour in order to get there close to on-time. I found Gianni and 4 others from our band at the far end of the square at a restaurant Gianni had picked out and recommended. It was a wonderful lunch, in a beautiful place!! I felt so happy and satisfied with my day. Wandering on my own and discovering Venice without worry about anything other than which corner I wanted to peek around next, and then a leisurely and tasty Italian lunch with friends. Mmmm….pizza in Italy…. Gianni insisted on paying for everyone - which was so generous and sweet of him. He really acted the host as we enjoyed being in his country.

Tonight's show is Hayden Smith - who I played for two or three times on the Rhapsody - so it was nice to see him again. Just before the show he asked us if we'd mind him recording our horn parts during the show as we performed, so he can use them when he has to perform without a band. Oh, and he'll pay us a hundred dollars each to agree. Hmmm….no brainer! Get paid twice to play the same show I get paid to play anyway? Yes please.

4 comments:

Kate Smail said...

Sounds amazing Andrea! So jealous I hope to make it their next year after AuPairing or maybe even this year for a short trip. I spent the day getting lost in Stonetown Zanzibar yesterday, absolutely loving Tanzania.

Dewman said...

Man oh man! Exploring Venice sounds like so much fun! Glad you got to finally see it and experience it! I can imagine you booking it to get to lunch :) And woot for getting paid extra to play the same show-you just had to play extra well, huh.
Take care!

Yo Mama said...

Ahhh, Venice. I should have had you get me some Venetian blinds while you were there! Sounds like you had a great time!!!!

Dear ol' Dad said...

Ahhh...Venice...indeed!