Mont Blanc

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Ports and In Port Manning

On the Queen Elizabeth, there is a rule that a certain amount of crew must be on board at any one time, in case of an emergency. This translates to "In Port Manning" or IPM for us - there is a set rotation so that one in every seven ports you must stay on board and be assigned a specific IPM emergency duty, possibly different to your usual one, in order to make sure every important position is covered in case something were to happen while we're docked requiring action on our parts. Yesterday I was assigned IPM, but my boss Tim was staying on board and offered to cover it for me. It is quite easy to switch your IPM or even pay someone to do it if you really want to get off in a particular port in which you happen to have IPM. Some companies don't require IPM at all, some only require it from key personnel, and some require it as often as every 3 ports. So one in 7 really isn't bad, especially with it being so easy to switch to get out of it. Some random info for you there.

So anyway, my boss was nice enough to cover my IPM, so I went ashore on my own in Messina. I've been there before so I felt comfortable on my own. I did some shopping and then sat in an outside café with some espresso and read a book on my kindle (a lifesaver!! really loving it!) for a while. On my way back I passed by a café where lo and behold, two friends from past contracts were sitting. At first I didn't believe my eyes, but this really is the only job in the world where you can expect something like running into your buddy Tony the Swedish guitarist from the Rhapsody, and Jordan the English shoppie from the Voyager, while walking around in Sicily. It was great to see them both, such a nice surprise to catch up with them! They are both working on the Navigator of the Seas, a Royal ship that was docked with us that day. Love this life….

Today we were in Cephalonia, a Greek Island. It is a really beautiful sunny place, and man, was it hot. Despite the heat, I walked and explored a lot with Christy and Adrian, even climbing up a big hill so we could see a view of the other side of the island. We did a bit of essential (and some arguably non-essential) shopping, sat for a while at a café to cool off (I had fresh squeezed orange juice….yum) then headed back to the ship.

Oh, the other night for one of the guest acts I got to play Michael Buble's version of Cry Me a River - which has been one of my favorites for a while now! So exciting to be able to actually play the arrangement and rock out!!

Oh also - I am now famous (or infamous) on board because for some reason my crew pass didn't scan properly when I returned to the ship yesterday. They thought I wasn't on board, announced my name over the P.A. (which I didn't hear since I was already in rehearsal), thought they were going to have to leave me behind, and finally called my supervisor (Tim) who turned around to look at me with a funny look on his face, then replied in an amused tone that I was sitting right behind him. :-)

4 comments:

Yo Mama said...

Hooray for Michael Buble's music. I have great memories of the concert we went to. Its nice that you get to play music that you enjoy! Its so crazy that you ran into your two friends while walking down the street. What a great surprise....but then again, you probably know someone from every country in the world by now. Wherever you go....someone may be watching!

Kathryn said...

You better watch out. Someday I'm just going to show up at one of your ports... and then we'll get to jump and squeal and fall over hugging each other. :-)

I can just imagine you sitting there, blissfully unaware that everyone on the ship was hunting for you. Haha! What a great story. I miss you my friend, but reading your posts helps me feel a little (very little) bit closer.

Have a wonderful night!

Dewman said...

How neat to happen upon friends LOL! So excited to hear you are enjoying your time there! Thanks for the kind words about my Master's Degree! P.S. Start watching out-Holy Buckets is about to go nuts writing music!

Dear ol' Dad said...

Was that the same Jordan that helped me with my T-Shirts from Royal Carribean Voyeger?