On one of my last nights on board, Tim and Tracy surprised me with a little party. They had bought all sorts of wine, cheese, and crackers and smuggled them aboard for me. They even bought me a little jar of Nutella, which they know I love and had run out of. They gave me a necklace as a going away present, and Tracy had made an amazing little scrapbook that she had all of my friends write something in and sign for me. I must admit, there were tears when she gave that to me. I don't think I have ever felt so loved on a contract, and I will miss all of my friends dearly. But I know its a small world, and we can meet again someday.
And so it was that after a week of total sleep deprivation, a few final hours of work, organizing my things and giving away as much of it as possible to be able to pack it all in my suitcases, many hugs and farewells, a few tears, and those last essential good conversations, I walked off the gangway for the final time in 9 and a half months. I still don't quite believe that I don't have to go back to the ship anymore, it is so routine now. I met with the Peterson's in Sydney, and went with them to drop off most of my luggage at their house in a suburb south of Sydney. I came back downtown and met up with Tim and Tracy for one final afternoon together. We had lunch and ice cream on the harbor, one final time as the little family we have become. Then I sent them back to the ship, waved them goodbye, and headed to Circular Quay to catch my train to the airport.
I landed in Wellington, New Zealand around midnight, and headed to my new home away from home for the next week or so, here on Wallace Street, Mt. Cook, Wellington, New Zealand. I get to camp out in a great old house built in the 30's with a bunch of cool and crazy musicians, and so far it has been fantastic. Yesterday we climbed to the top of Mount Victoria for a view of the city, then went to the grocery store and got all the ingredients for an awesome picnic lunch, which we had on the grass down by the harbor next to the Te Papa museum. At night we went to a Korean Barbecue place with a big group of Hayden's friends, and then did karaoke in our own little room upstairs and had a blast. I'm already meeting a lot of great and interesting people, and can't wait to see what the rest of the week has to offer. Me and Hayden will start our road trip later next week, and that will really be the highlight. So for now, here I am, going with the flow and enjoying getting to know this city a bit better.
1 comment:
Congratulations on making it through your contract. Now you are officially on VACATION!!!!! YEAH!
Post a Comment