Mont Blanc

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sweet As!!!

I'm going to take this post to share some Kiwi (New Zealand) lingo that I'm learned and come to love over the past few months. I picked this up from my good friend Nick, who uses it all the time, and all the New Zealanders I came across during our time there. Kiwi's have a construction where instead of saying "very (blank)", they will say "(blank) as!" So for example, "really funny" becomes "funny as" and really drunk becomes "drunk as", eg: "Man, last night I was drunk as!!" It can be placed after any adjective. Another example: our Kiwi rafting guide said at one point, "this next waterfall is scary as." But specifically the phrase "sweet as!" is used all the time to express agreement or excitement. It only really sounds right if you have a Kiwi accent, though....when I say it I sound funny, its supposed to sound more like "sweet azzz". But hanging out with Nick and my friend Hayden has inserted it into my vocabulary, so I may be stuck with it for a while. I remember the first few weeks hanging out with Nick, I thought he was saying "sweet a$$" which led to some confusion....but now I know what he's actually saying. Good times. Sweet as!

4 comments:

Yo Mama said...

This Kiwi talk is silly as.I wonder what things we say that they think are crazy as.

Kathryn said...

That's awesome. I'm going to have to try that out on Paul tonight. ;-) I love you tons and miss you. Can't wait till you're back in the states.

Dewman said...

I love how as sounds so much like a$$, It must be a crack up everytime someone says something like that.

Keep doing awesome as!

Dear ol' Dad said...

Maybe he meant it both ways...
...you never know about those kiwi guys.