Mont Blanc

Sunday, December 12, 2010

New Zealand so far

We started our New Zealand cruise with a day exploring Milford, Doubtful, and Dusky Sounds in the South island. The scenery reminded me of parts of Alaska and of norwegian Fjords. We were very lucky with the weather, and had beautiful blue sunny skies in a place where is is raining almost all the time. We got quite a shock though at how cold and dry it was in the south of New Zealand, as compared to Sydney and the south pacific islands we've been cruising. It was very cold our first couple of ports. Now we're up in the north island, and things are much warmer here.

I was unlucky enough to be one of the 2% of crew that had to turn up at 6:45am in our first New Zealand port (Dunedin) for a random passport check. Not fun. I didn't even end up getting off the ship that day because I had a pretty bad cold. It was a good day to stay warm in bed.

In Christchurch I went out to lunch with friends, did some shopping, and climbed the bell tower of the cathedral in the center of town. I was at the top of that tower once before when I was here in New Zealand 6 years ago, and it was neat to be in the same place again, but with different people and at a different place in my life.

In Wellington I checked out the Te Papa museum, probably the most famous in New Zealand, and got to see a preserved "colossal squid" that was found in the Antarctic. Wellington is actually the capital of New Zealand, despite Auckland being much bigger and more populated, with the country's primary airport. In the afternoon I also got to meet up with my old friend Hayden, who lives there. Hayden was the sax player in the band on my very first ship 3 years ago, Celebrity's Galaxy. It was wonderful to catch up with him for a few hours.

In Napier a few of us went out to lunch and then went on a scenic tour for a couple of hours. The countryside was really beautiful. We went to the top of Te Mata mountain for some photos, and got to visit a winery as well. Hawkes Bay region is famous for its wine. I also got to have my first sheep sighting. They are everywhere in New Zealand as soon as you leave the cities. As we sailed away from Napier that night, I saw one of the most beautiful sunsets of my life. It was truly incredible. It stopped all of us in our tracks and had us staring for half an hour. I was really blessed. Thanks God!!

5 comments:

Yo Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yo Mama said...

Hi Andrea. Glad to see that you managed to connect with Hayden. Any ideas where the town Doubtful got it's name?

Dewman said...

Hey Andrea! Just catching up! I've been rehearsing or playing everynight for the past two weeks. I suppose you do that all the time though. LOL
Love you! Thanks for the message!

Dear ol' Dad said...

I sure hope you got some photo's while you were mezmerized by the sunset. You know how love those sunsets!

Dear ol' Dad said...

"I"