Mont Blanc

Friday, December 3, 2010

Heading to New Zealand

I'm in Sydney once again! This past week I only got off the ship in one of our two ports due to rehearsals on the second port day. But the day I did get off was great - in Noumea, New Caledonia a half dozen of us braved the island's public trans to get ourselves to Duck Island, via city bus and water taxi. It was a beautiful sunny day, and we spent a nice day on the beach and snorkeling around the coral reef. Other than that one day, my whole week was spent on board, keeping entertained outside of work by hanging out with friends, playing board games, N64, and fooseball in the crew rec room. We all seem to be reaching a new comfort level with each other, choosing to spend our free time together rather than on our own whilst at sea. It certainly helps the days go by quickly. I can't believe how quickly Christmas is coming. I've decorated my cabin for the occasion, and even bought an advent calendar so I can count the days by eating a little piece of chocolate each day. Not a bad idea at all. :-)

Today we will begin our 14 day New Zealand cruise, something we've all been looking forward to for quite some time. Not only will we get to be in new places, but the ports and cities have much more to offer than the idyllic but undeveloped places we go in the South Pacific. We can't wait to explore some new cities. A couple of days will also just be spent cruising around some of the most scenic corners of the country, which should be really interesting as well.

A few days ago on board I met 3 people from Peru and we got to talking in Spanish at the crew bar.....somehow by the end of the night I had 3 new peruvian best friends and I had promised to visit them when I go see Machu Pichu someday, and also help all three of them with English. I love it when I get to meet interesting people like that.

2 comments:

Yo Mama said...

Could I come spend the next 14 days with you?????? I promise not to eat any of your chocolate!

Dear ol' Dad said...

How's your foosball skills coming along?