Apologies for not posting sooner! It has been a pretty exciting but busy transition into the Bermuda run. Before I start talking about Bermuda, let me fill you in on a few highlights of last week, our final week in the Bahamas. Because winds were too high for the pilots to operate our tender boats, we unfortunately had to skip Great Stirrup Cay, NCL's island. Instead we were left with an extra day at sea, which went by very slowly, especially since our one and only set of the night wasn't until 10:45pm. We played later sets this week in order to cover more of the main lounges, since we were down a lounge act as I mentioned in my last post. But, the late night set was very well received and really fun to do. We performed in a different venue as well, and a change of scenery is always nice, especially when the sound is much better in that new location. (I wish we always played there!) Unfortunately this week we are back to our old haunts.
The biggest highlight of the week was the following day in Nassau. I finally got over to visit the famous Atlantis resort, and wow....I was impressed. It really is a gorgeous place. Not only did I walk around and take pictures, visit the in-lobby aquarium, and lounge at the beaches and pools (where they were filming some kind of movie or maybe bowling competition??), but I sprung for a dolphin swim though the shore excursions team. It was expensive, but so worth it!! I went with my friend Erin, an Australian girl who works on the youth staff. We had an absolute blast! We swam with the dolphins in deep water, touched, hugged and kissed them, saw them do tricks, got a high five, and to top it all off got a "foot push". This is where you lay on a boogie board, a dolphin swims up behind you, puts his nose on your foot and pushes you at full speed through the water, just like riding a wave! It was an incredible experience.
In our last Freeport the next day I finally got off the ship, for the first and last time on Grand Bahama Island. Usually our schedule doesn't allow us enough time to go anywhere since it is a half hour cab ride into town, but because of our rearranged schedule I was finally able to get off and have a look around. 10 of us went to the main little town and to the beach. A highlight of the day was watching locals prepare "conch salad" by removing the mussels from the big conch shells. I also tried "conch fritters" out of the same stuff, which were definitely an interesting treat, although there was enough greasy fried breading on them to make anything taste good.
In our last Port Canaveral I went out with friends for a lunch of chinese food, followed by an afternoon of Wal-Mart shopping to prepare for the coming weeks in Bermuda. I was keenly aware of the fact that I won't be seeing another Wal-Mart until we reposition to Baltimore at the end of the month, and made the most of my last opportunity.
So! On to Bermuda!! After leaving Charleston at 4pm on Saturday, we don't get into Bermuda until Monday at 2pm. That's almost 48 hours of travel at sea. When we were finally arriving, a lot of my friends and I (along with basically every single guest...) went up onto the top deck to watch our first arrival into Bermuda. In order to dock, the Majesty must pass through a very narrow channel to enter into the harbor, known as "the cut". There are only a few feet of space on either side, and it is a really interesting moment in the arrival.
Bermuda is absolutely gorgeous. The weather is warm and perfect, the beaches are breathtaking, and the town is right next to the ship. I love it! I'll write more about it in a couple of days!!! (I've already typed so much about last week....)
1 comment:
Your life sounds so exciting =) I am so happy that you are able to experience so much (at such a young age)!
Are you still going to be docking on Saturdays in Charleston? Mike and I wondered if May 23 or June 6 would be good days to see you. Lemme know.
Continue to have a great time.
Love, Bobbie
Post a Comment