Mont Blanc

Saturday, March 22, 2008

American soil (SJ - PR)

Thus begins my last trip around the Caribbean! How time flies! Today I got up at 6:30am to make sure I made the early window to get off the ship. I've been here at Starbucks ever since - using the internet and talking on the phone. They have a really big back room with big comfy chairs, tables for your computer, and plugs. I could stay here all day, living off of hot chocolate and blueberry muffins. I probably will, at that, unless Wanda (the lady I met here in San Juan) calls me back soon.

The day before yesterday in Aruba I tried to go parasailing with Joey and Thomas, only to be foiled by high winds and choppy seas. We took the public bus to the beach only to find out they had closed due to dangerous conditions. We were more than a bit bummed out, but we'll try again next time. Instead, Joey went to the beach, Thomas went back to the ship, and I went to the Butterfly Farm (about a three minute walk from the bus stop). The entrance was adorned by a sign that said, "Let it snow" - something I'm quite sure never happens in Aruba. I was told that the cost was $13 and included a tour. As is my habit, I asked if there was a crew discount. I'm glad I did, because she said in that case, I could go in for free, and hop on any tour I wanted. Yay! I was so thrilled I bought a $13 butterfly pin. :-) It was nice being there by myself, because I didn't feel rushed or have to worry about if my companions were bored and ready to go. It isn't a very big enclosure, but I spent over two hours there going crazy with my camera and just sitting on the benches and relaxing while watching the butterflies. It was really beautiful. Here's the link to those pictures:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2051591&l=30218&id=56903845
If you like butterflies, enjoy! And tell me which one is your favorite in a comment. If you are afraid of butterflies (Mel), don't look at these pictures. :-)

One other neat thing that happened this week: in St. Maarten I revisited a little souvenir shop owned by a little Indian woman who moved to St. Maarten decades ago (She is probably 65?). My mom and I had made some purchases there, and she had mentioned I should come back by and say hello. So last St. Maarten I finally did. She didn't remember me, but when I told her that she had told me to come back and say hello, her face really lit up. She began talking to me, and giving me all kinds of advice and telling me what some of the lessons were that she had learned in her life. She asked if I needed to be anywhere, and I said no. She talked for over an hour, grasping my hand and looking intently into my eyes when saying something she believed particularly important. She talked about life, adjusting to new situations, standing firm in your values, being patient, appreciating God's creation, learning from others, and so much more. I was so blessed by her - those were treasured moments. I almost wish that I had had a tape recorder in my pocket so I could listen to everything she had to say again. But sometimes you just have to enjoy the moment and not worry about documenting it for later - that would ruin the magic of it somehow.


1 comment:

Chelsea Smith said...

I like the bright blue butterfly...