Last night we finally opened our brand new show - Palladium Nights. The idea of the show is based of the weekly British television show - "Sunday Nights at the Palladium", where major artists would perform live. The artists portrayed in our show are Mickey Vaughn, Tom Jones, Dusty Springfield, Englebert Humperdinck, Lulu, Sandie Shaw, and Shirley Bassie. We have been rehearsing the show for a couple of months, it was a relief to finally open it! It has been a lot of work. Imagine the poor tech guys who had to build the entire set for each rehearsal packed into any time the theatre was free and available, and then tearing it back down a couple hours later to set up for the normal shows going on in there. The cast tended to start rehearsals around 10 during the port days and rehearse while everyone else was happily enjoying their port time, and then come back at midnight after the evening shows had finished to rehearse late into the night.
Once the costumes were all fitted and the cast were doing runs of the show in them, I came up to watch the show from the audience perspective. This is something I will never be able to do again, as now that the band is "in" we will always be onstage whenever the show is being run. So I took advantage of the chance to sit back and watch the show, as it is meant to look. And it looks great! I love the costumes. There is a fun little section where the dancers are dressed and dance like marionettes to circus-like music, which is refreshingly different than anything I've seen before, and really fun to watch. I was really impressed, and I know the overall impact jumps up once the band was onstage, adding live sound to the canned track music. We really don't ever stop playing for the whole show. It is exhausting....it took all Franck our trumpet player and I had to make it through a rehearsal and two shows. Our drummer Gianni was nursing cramped legs and arms after the second show. But was a show! The house was packed at both showtimes. Before and after we were congratulated by Andrew Miller, the head of Entertainment for Carnival Corporation, who was on board for the premier. It went so well, everyone is very proud to have been a part of it. Now things will settle back down again as those midnight rehearsals cease and the show moves from the forefront of everyone's minds to take its place in the rotation of shows to be performed once a voyage. It has been a really exciting ride! Well done, everyone!
Once the costumes were all fitted and the cast were doing runs of the show in them, I came up to watch the show from the audience perspective. This is something I will never be able to do again, as now that the band is "in" we will always be onstage whenever the show is being run. So I took advantage of the chance to sit back and watch the show, as it is meant to look. And it looks great! I love the costumes. There is a fun little section where the dancers are dressed and dance like marionettes to circus-like music, which is refreshingly different than anything I've seen before, and really fun to watch. I was really impressed, and I know the overall impact jumps up once the band was onstage, adding live sound to the canned track music. We really don't ever stop playing for the whole show. It is exhausting....it took all Franck our trumpet player and I had to make it through a rehearsal and two shows. Our drummer Gianni was nursing cramped legs and arms after the second show. But was a show! The house was packed at both showtimes. Before and after we were congratulated by Andrew Miller, the head of Entertainment for Carnival Corporation, who was on board for the premier. It went so well, everyone is very proud to have been a part of it. Now things will settle back down again as those midnight rehearsals cease and the show moves from the forefront of everyone's minds to take its place in the rotation of shows to be performed once a voyage. It has been a really exciting ride! Well done, everyone!
2 comments:
Sounds like a great show, wish I was there!
Bravo!!!!!
Post a Comment