While I was home I was also lucky enough to have some good family time with my Grandpa Kopecky before he passed away, and then was able to attend his memorial services up there in Grass Valley. I'm so glad to have been able to say my goodbyes and have some time with him and our whole family together before he went to be with the Lord. He was honored by a military service which was very moving.
So now I am back on the Queen Elizabeth, for my third contract. I was able to come out a few days early and spend some time with Nick's family. They spoiled me and took me sightseeing all around their area. I got to see Winchester Cathedral, Swanage, Corfe Castle, and Longleat. We stayed very busy! Nick's little niece Hope likes me much more than she likes him, which is very entertaining. I joined the ship yesterday, and had a pretty easy night, due to the timing of a live stream of the Opening Ceremonies of the London Olympics, which they showed in the theatre for the guests. So we only had time for one early half-hour Welcome show. Finished by 8:20pm, what a great deal! I got to relax in bed and watch the Opening Ceremonies, which were spectacular!
Also because of the Olympics, they've set aside one of the lounges for constant viewing of the events, which means its one less venue that needs to have music in it, resulting in less work for us over the next couple of weeks. Today we only had a 12:30 Dixieland set in the Garden Lounge. One hour's work and done! Its nice to be eased back into heavy playing this way. So far my chops are doing okay. I prepared enough in the weeks prior to coming back. Tomorrow will be our first normal night, with a full rehearsal and two late shows. But for now, I'm kicking back and getting all moved in to my cabin. I'll write another update soon about the changes here and new band members.
------------------
2 comments:
Back to work?? It sounds like you need a break!! Hope your transition goes smoothly. You know, like the seas... :)
yeah, I saw some of your daily practice when you were back... :)
Post a Comment