Welcome to India! I was really looking forward to visiting this country, and I wasn't disappointed. It is such a colorful place. I went on a "Best of Cochin" tour. We started out by taking a boat cruise around the harbour, and got to sail by the Chinese fishing nets, which we later visited on foot. These were the most incredible thing we saw during the day. They are absolutely huge wooden counterweight mechanisms that lower giant nets into the water and then raise them back out again, and are operated entirely by hand with no machinery. They are amazing to watch in action, though I'm finding the sight rather difficult to describe. After our cruise, we walked through the former Jewish Town, which is now a spice market. We visited a museum nearby, then had a snack and beverage at a nice beach hotel. On the way to another museum (focusing on the Portuguese influence in India), we happened by a field where school kids were practicing their cricket skills on an open field. It was fun to watch and get a little glimpse into their culture. It was second only to seeing the Nets in action. So many times on tours I feel we see the "sights" but miss the experience, which is why I always love it when you get to see something truly local.
------------------
Mont Blanc
Tuesday, April 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment