I'm all settled in here in Cannonvale, a little town right next to Airlie Beach, and about 15 minutes from Proserpine, where my friend Matt teaches grade 3. My traveling to get here was pretty uneventful. I decided to spend my Sydney overnight between flights in the airport, to save money and ensure I didn't miss my early morning flight by getting too far away. While they close the airport at 11pm, there is a no-mans-land in between the terminal and the elevators that take you to the train station that they don't kick you out of. I had asked around about it, and was told to get there "early" to snag one of the comfy chairs. I settled in around 5:30 pm, did some reading and napping, and woke at midnight surprised to see that I was far from the only one taking advantage of this little slice of airport - there were 60 other cheap travelers like myself camping out on the chairs and floors, some with sleeping bags, one backpacker couple even washed their clothes in the sink and hung them to dry on their own clotheslines they had rigged up. I was next to a sleeping asian man with a facemask and earplugs, and across from a nice german guy who was on his way home after spending 10 weeks backpacking and rockclimbing the famous areas in Australia, on his own. He watched my stuff for me whenever I went around the corner to use the bathroom. What a guy. :-)
So now I'm in Cannonvale. My first weekend we went out with Matt's friends and girlfriend to Airlie Beach to explore the nightlife, and had a fantastic night. I spent one evening with one of his teacher friends, Bess, who invited me to a girls movie night with wine and cheese. I really like her a lot, hoping we can hang out again next weekend. This week I'm on my own a lot, at Matt teaches during the day. This is the last week of the term, then he'll have his easter holidays. I've been doing some exploring of the towns and neighboring towns, relaxing and reading at the Airlie Beach Lagoon (basically a free pool on the beach, there is too much danger from jellyfish stings to swim in the water), and relaxing at home - the apartment in Cannonvale, where I have my own room and bed!! You start to appreciate these things more when you don't have them for a while, ha ha)
There are so many amazing things to do here if you have the money....I'm still debating if I'll take one of the days tours out to the reef or one of the islands....is it worth spending another 150 bucks?? Or should I find cheaper or free things to do?? Hmm....maybe I'll do just one tour. After all, my room and board are basically free, so why not? We'll see. I am enjoying the freedom and relaxation a lot even just staying here on the mainland. I've got one more week here - I'll check in again at the end or once I'm back in Sydney!!
1 comment:
I'm surprised you don't want to risk the experience of a jellyfish sting since you seem to be the adventuresome type. I've tried it once...and found it to be an unforgettable experience.
Post a Comment