Mont Blanc

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Making up for free time

Well, I did sign up for some tours this week as mentioned before, to fill up some of the free time afforded me this cruise. In Juneau I finally went whale watching, which was really neat. It was kindof like living the discovery channel. The highlight was seeing a group of about a dozen humpback whales bubble-net feeding, where the whales coordinate with each other to creat a ring of bubbles, then chase the fish trapped inside it up the center and up to the surfaces, where they come up with mouthfuls of fish. It was truly incredible to see all the whales break the surface at once - I actually stopped breathing a couple of times.

In Skagway I went on a hiking trip on the Chilkoot trail that ended with a rafting trip back down to the trailhead. It was very similar rafting to what I did last week in Skagway, but this time my tour guide let me row the raft for part of it. Awesome!!! I did pretty good, too, considering I had to control a raft with 8 people in it. It was so fun....It was nice to have something more like an adventure than just sitting in the raft.

My side jobs have been keeping me busy, which is great. Unfortunately I only have one more week of art auction before the gallery leaves the ship. We still don't know if they will be replaced right away or ever with another gallery, and if so if that gallery would hire assistants in the same way, so I'm not counting on anything. I have 6 more weeks of Port and Shopping (that jobs finishes at the crossing), and I'm not sure if shore-ex will still need help after we do the crossing, or when we get a new manager, so that is up in the air as well. But my philosophy is just to ride the wave while I can, so to speak, and do as much work as I can while its still available.

1 comment:

Yo Mama said...

I just watched a youtube video of whales bubble-net feeding. Wow. It looked so incredible. I can't imagine how breathtaking it must have been to see it in person! Only the humpback whales feed in this way. So cool!