Mont Blanc

Thursday, December 18, 2008

3362 nautical miles, 2 flights, and an unexpected overnight with an alligator later......I'm home.

Yes, I'm home!  But before I get to that I'll tell you about the last few days of my contract.  The weather unfortunately took a turn for the worse, so no more afternoons out on deck 7.  But I kept myself pretty busy - going to the gym, using the internet, watching movies in Marie's cabin, and getting packed early.  This is the first time I haven't had to rush to get everything done.  My last night on board was a really nice one - for work all I had to do was play in the short, easy Christmas show we've been putting together.  I actually really enjoyed it.  Afterwards I spent some time in the crew lounge with all my friends who came to wish me farewell.  I've found that sometimes its not until you are leaving that you realize what neat friends you were lucky to have, and how much they have come to mean to you.  

The next morning we arrived in Miami, and after full crew and guest immigration, the sign offs were finally able to disembark.  I made it to the airport by 11am, and then had some time to kill before my flight at 3:50.  I got to Dallas without incident, but unfortunately it was so cold there that all the planes had to be de-iced prior to departure, which delayed us about an hour and a half.  By some strange coincidence, I happened to be seated next to a bandmaster from Norwegian Cruise Line, who also had just signed off that morning, so we kept each other entertained swapping ship stories.  (He talked to me first because he saw my trombone and thought I was on a high school band field trip, go figure).  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my parents were getting snowed in on the mountain.  They couldn't come get me, so I ended up crashing at the NCL bandmaster's house with him and his wife, who live about 15 minutes from Ontario Airport.  They are a really cool Christian couple, and I felt at home staying with them.  So where does the alligator fit into all of this?  Well, apparently they know someone involved in a Discovery Channel documentary, and were babysitting this 2 and a half foot alligator overnight.  They were keeping it in their bathroom shower.  No kidding - I took a picture. 

My parents were able to get out the next day and pick me up around 3pm.  It was so great to see everyone.  We went straight to In N' Out, of course, then barely managed to make it home before the next storm hit.  It dumped buckets on us up here, I think we have three feet of snow.  But the important thing is, I'm HOME!!!!

No comments: