Mont Blanc

Monday, July 14, 2008

Norway: Molde, Olden, and Bergen

For the first time, we arrived in a port that started to look the same as the others to me - which means I'm getting used to the way things looks in Norway.  All of the houses are very similar, because almost all of them were built/rebuilt after World War II, when a lot of structures were destroyed during the German occupation or their retreat (scorched earth strategy - leave nothing behind for your enemies to use).  


I went on a short tour In Molde just to get an overview of the city.  I wish I had several days here to take advantage of the great hiking trails they have in the expansive forests.  There is a lot of green here, and trees - evidence that we have left the Arctic Circle behind us.  Actually we officially crossed that latitude line the other day - it is marked by an arctic circle monument shaped like a globe.  We were able to see it from the ship as we sailed through a fjord.  Molde is known as the city of jazz and roses.  Their biggest jazz festival is next week, and there really are roses planted everywhere around the city.  


Then yesterday we were in Olden, and I went on another tour (at the last minute I subbed for Marie) to Lake Stryne.  I think it was the most beautiful thing I have seen so far.  So much green, and a beautiful, calm, blue-green lake surrounded by mountains with snow - it was gorgeous.  Last night we had our first big band set, and it went pretty well.  Thankfully we only do 2 sets maximum, so it isn't killer for the brass like it was on the Galaxy (One advantage to having a horn player as bandmaster - they understand these things).  There weren't many dancers, save one little girl in a blue disney cinderella dress who did her own thing in the middle of the dance floor and kept grinning at me.  Afterwards she came up to me and I tried to talk to her, but she wouldn't say a word.  She only wanted to show me her sparkley shoes.  :-)  


Today we are in Bergen - one of Norway's biggest cities.  Unfortunately the weather was pretty rainy and cold today, so I didn't even bother with taking pictures.  Me, Marie, Liam and Tim the cocktail pianist fought the elements to go to TGI Fridays!  I know I really shouldn't eat at places that we have back home, but it sure sounded good.  Everything is VERY expensive in Norway, but we splurged today.  For example, the basic TGI Friday's "world famous" burger cost me about $30.  Yikes!  I didn't order anything to drink.  From now on I will avoid eating out in Northern Europe.   Tonight I have my first jazz set, and I will be sharing with Ian.  Its less than an hour, and should go by really fast.  Its strange not to begin working until 11:30 at night, though.  I've still got a few hours to wait around.  :-)


1 comment:

Dewman said...

It was interesting to hear about all the homes being re-built after WWII. I don't remember high school history well enough...I didn't realize that the Germans occupied Norway at all. I enjoyed the pictures of the houses and the lamp posts too! Love, Mom