Mont Blanc

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Berlin, Stockholm

(This is a retro post...I have been trying to post it for a week!  Sorry all!! )  Wow, where to start....the past few days have been pretty overwhelming, just because of the incredible places  I'm seeing for the first time.  First of all, Berlin.


I was not prepared for how much there would be to see in Berlin.  Aside from the 2 1/2 hour train ride, the day was really a whirlwind of stopping every ten minutes to see something.  There is so much history to the city, even though most of it is chilling and has to do with World War II.  I saw parts of the Berlin Wall, the place where Hitler ran the war, where his bunker used to be and where he committed suicide, a very effective memorial to holocaust victims, and so much more.  The Brandenburg gate, Reichstag building, the Twin Cathedrals, museum island....the list goes on.  Plus our tour included a "traditional" German lunch, which of course included bratwurst and sauerkraut.  One of my favorite poignant sights was a cathedral that was damaged by bombing during the war, but was left in that state - neither demolished nor destroyed.  It was neat to see.  It was an amazing day, and I'm so glad we were able to go.  We got back to the ship at 10pm and went straight to sound check, then did a simple play-on and were finished before 11pm.  I sure crashed that night, and slept in the next day until...well, you don't need to know.  It was late. :-)  


Today was Stockholm, and I wasn't prepared for the beauty of that city either.  It was really incredible and picturesque.  I went out with Marie and Liam and Tim, and we shopped, ate lunch, and watched a changing of the guard at the Swedish Royal Palace.  It was a neat afternoon - free time was nice after all the tours I've been doing.  The sailaway was really nice as well - Stockholm is surrounded by something like 40,000 islands, and it takes over 3 hours to get back out to the open sea. I stayed outside on deck 7 to watch for an hour or so by myself - it was really relaxing.  The air felt wonderful and smelled like ocean and forest at the same time.  Tonight we had a couple of late big bang sets and now its time for bed!  So I'll post this tomorrow.  Goodnight, all! 

3 comments:

Nikko28brass said...

So glad to finally hear from you! I was nervous, I will admit. I am so glad you got see Berlin and Stockholm...I hope you got lots of photos to share! I miss you Andrea! Sean and I are moving to LA just to let you know! I will send you a letter with the details and I will include our new address too! Hope all continues to be well!

Metaphysician_delta said...

It's sounds like you're having an absolutely wonderful time. That is so great.

So are you a fan of bratwurst and sauerkraut?

Yo Mama said...

You better say yes to being a fan of sauerkraut...you have a Czeckoslovakian heritage...so pork, sauerkraut and dumplings runs through your veins.