Yesterday was my first time ever in France (La Rochelle) – unfortunately I didn’t get off the ship. My roommate came down sick, and was quarantined, so I had to be quarantined as well. Since I had no symptoms, they wanted to isolate me from her as well. My friend Mark, who is the activity manager, was able to get me put up in a guest stateroom for my quarantine – and the only one available was Concierge Class (aka really nice!). I’ve spent two nights here now, and I still have the key, so its nice to relax here. Room service is my new most favorite thing ever. They have a menu that is free and available 24 hours a day. Last night I finished after 1am and ordered hot chocolate and chocolate chip cookies to eat before I went to bed. I am ordering room service all the time – I’ve got to take advantage of it! Plus I’ve got a nice little outside balcony! Its pretty sweet, I can’t complain. The only downside is that since I was quarantined, I was unable to go out yesterday in France. But I made up for it today – going on a long excursion to Cap de la Hague, near our port of call Cherbourg. The countryside and architecture were stunning. We visited a lighthouse, some cliffs called the ‘end of the earth’, and the birthplace and hometown of the painter J.F. Millet. This part of France is so breathtaking – imagine old stone buildings covered in vines and flowers, green open fields with horses grazing, old decorative stone churches in every small group of homes, and streams everywhere. I could easily spend a month just in the countryside around Cherbourg.
This twelve day cruise has been so different – I am constantly recognized by guests as ‘the trombone player’, ‘the girl in the band’, or ‘the mother of the orchestra’ as Andy has begun to refer to me on stage whilst introducing us. ☺ Usually no-one recognizes me unless I am carrying my trombone, but this cruise everyone seems to know me, and it is very flattering, but a little weird. Last night I walked by a table of guests and got a round of applause! “Go girl trombone player!!” People even greet me by name all the time. Strange! But nice. ☺ I feel famous this cruise – I think it happened because the guests were different for the transatlantic, and 5 sea days gave them time to get to know us and appreciate the music on board much more.
Well, I still have a whole lot of packing to do! Tomorrow we pick up our final paycheck between 5 and 6am, and hopefully disembark around 7:30am. Its too bad all I will know of England is the airport and the scenery on the 2 hour drive there, but I’m still looking forward to it. This will be the last post from the Summit! I’ll write again once I’m back home. Thanks for following me across the atlantic!
Mont Blanc
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
See?!? I told you that you were famous! :)
Post a Comment