Mont Blanc

Monday, January 28, 2008

Roseau, Dominica

Tonight we have big band sets for the first time since I’ve been here – and since our first one isn’t until 9:45pm tonight, we had what feels like a day off. I’ve still got a couple of hours left to relax and get ready for the sets. Last night I was up late playing good old scrabble with some of my new friends, so I slept in today. The social situation is a little better on this ship because there is a great non-smoking common room area, as an alternative to the smoking bar. on the galaxy, that non-smoking hangout area was only big enough for maybe 15 people at a time, with nowhere to sit or relax. Here the room is big, with lots of couches, tables and chairs, and even a couple of T.V.’s where I’ve seen crewmembers showcasing their Guitar Hero skills. ☺

Today I got off the ship around 12:30 and walked around Roseau, Dominica for the first time, with Jason, the sound tech. I found the port a bit intimidating – it isn’t the safest area to walk around. Jason was comfortable, though – he says Dominica really reminds him of South Africa. . It was quite different for me, though. The rest of the island is very beautiful and tropical, but I wouldn’t know where to go on my own. I think I prefer places like Aruba and St. Maarten which are easy to get around, safe, and more tourist-friendly. Although if I had the money, the nature tours on Dominica look really fantastic. Hiking, waterfalls, marine reserves, wildlife parks, even a boiling lake. Most of the island is still rainforest.

When I had had enough of walking around in the sun, I came back to the ship and went to the gym for the first time. The guest gym here is even nicer than the Galaxy’s. I hope I’ll be more consistent about going this contract!

5 comments:

IronMel said...

dude, access to a gym! just think of the bridesmaid dress and how hot you'll look in it... not saying you're not hot now... you know what i mean.

Erin said...

It's good to hear there's enough space to hang out in comfort. It's always nice to have somewhere to go, especially to get away from cigarette smoke. Hehe.

Miss you! *Hand Hug*! =)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I hope you're doing okay, I wish i could have seen you more before you left. Can you send me your new address on the ship? Thanks a bunch, love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrea! Hope you're having a great time! I'm invading your house on Friday to harass your animals and eat all your food!

Metaphysician_delta said...

So glad to hear that things are going well--the accommodations, getting to meet old friends. That's fantastic.
May God continue to bless and keep you!