Mont Blanc

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Napoli

Today I woke up around 9:45 and went upstairs to have breakfast with my friend Donné during her break. Since she is activity staff, every port day one of them stays on board and runs events for those who stay on board. But in Europe hardly anyone stays on board, which means that most of the time she shows up to start an event, no one is there, so she waits 15 minutes and then when still no-one shows, she has a break until the next event, at which point the process begins again. So after we ate breakfast, I followed her around for a bit to these events that didn’t happen. ☺ It was fun, and gave us a great chance to connect and talk about our faith. It is wonderful to have a Christian friend who is my peer to talk with. Unfortunately she leaves in a month, but I really want to take advantage of the time that she is here. She’s very sweet, is actually a professional dancer, and has a neat South African accent. I like her a lot.

After spending the first part of my day with Donné, Marie and I went to the gym for a while, then woke up Ben (our trumpet player) and the three of us went out for pizza. Naples, or Napoli, is rumored to have the best pizza in Italy (which is saying something), and I think I agree. But I didn’t have any today – I tried a pasta called Gnocchi…which it turns out I really don’t like. Oh well. I’ll probably go back to pizza next time. When we are in Naples we always go to the same restaurant, and the owner knows us well and is a really nice old man, who actually worked on ships for years and years. He always treats us very well, and brings us free bread, along with real olive oil and balsamic vinegar to mix and dip our bread into. Its really good.

After stuffing ourselves there, we decided we wanted to take a walk. We discovered a nice park, plus a yacht harbor and some nice coastline. Ben says he wants to bring a fishing pole out here next time – I think I’ll come with him and bring a book.

So now I’m back on the ship, checking some emails before going to practice a bit. Tonight we have jazz sets – mine is at 10pm. After that, we have a team meeting (Entertainment Department), then I’m going to bed right away so I can wake up early for Rome tomorrow. Marie only has 2 more chances to go, including tomorrow, so she and I are going. Woohoo! I’m excited. Rome is always thrilling because there is so much to see.

3 comments:

Metaphysician_delta said...

Thank you so much for your post-card, Andrea.

So you actually read my blog? That's cool. It's funny--I was talking with my friend Daniel and he was concerned because my blogs were so long he said that no one (except strange people like him) would be willing to read them. So I laughed and told him that I was pretty sure that my total audience was probably limited to my parents. But now I know of someone else who reads it too (someone else to add to that list of strange people who put up with such dreadfully long entries).

Speaking of blogging--you continue to be wonderfully conscientious about keeping us updated. I appreciate that very much.

Reading a book with a friend on the coastline. Sounds lovely.

God bless, Andrea.

Scott said...

I consider myself very lucky to have caught you online the other day... glad to see you're still hanging in there.

I'm curious to know about your friend Donné and the origin of her name. Did her parents consider her as something "given" to them?

Anonymous said...

I love Gnocchi - sorry you didn't like it :( I guess it's an acquired taste eh?