Well, today is officially the rockiest sailing we've had since I've been here. The ship is really rocking a lot. It's tilting side to side quite a bit, but it's worst in the front of the ship where the prow is also moving up and down over the waves. Guess where my cabin is.....yup, the front. It is altogether impossible to walk in a straight line for more than 2 steps. When going up stairs, you alternately have to work really hard to climb each stair, or you unnaturally sort of fly up them as the ship dips. The lower outdoor decks are closed to passengers, and there was actually water sloshing over the windows of the staff mess on deck 3. Suffice it to say its a bumpy ride. I must admit, though, I think it's kindof fun...especially since I don't get seasick. For me, its the same sort of feeling as being in an intense winter storm - everyone's stuck inside and its a little bit exciting....you can hear the elements beating against the walls.....I like it. But don't worry, Mom - we aren't going to sink or anything. I hear that this is nothing compared to what it feels like going around Cape Horn in South America, where the waves are huge, and cruise ships make it through fine.
Well, the violinist Nicola Loud's show went pretty well yesterday. Our rehearsal lasted a full 2 hours, as compared to the usual 45 minutes to an hour that we need with most guest entertainers. Marie was really happy afterwards because the played the difficult clarinet parts very well. She feels like a better musician today - her practicing is finally playing off. Nicola bought us all drinks again after the show - which I translate as her being happy with how the show went. It also means that we like her a lot. Its nice when the guest entertainers show appreciation for our work to learn their show, and that they are interested in getting to know us and socializing.
It has been nice having June Hamlow aboard with her whole family - I've been able to eat with them a few times, and I keep bumping into them around the ship. Also, our second day in Istanbul I was signed up to escort a tour, and by divine intervention was able to go on the tour that they were taking!! It was so neat to be with them, they are a fun group of people. Plus it warms the heart to see other people with APU shirts on. I loved that.
Mont Blanc
Wednesday, August 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hadn't you just asked for a storm too? Funny the way that worked out.
Hey Andrea, its holly. I really miss you a lot... a lot a lot. I know your having a great time and all, and that your getting all these new amazing experiences, and im really jealous. but even though i know your having a great time, part of me wishes it could be cut short so that you could come home. I really miss you. Things are really different with you gone... i mean, i figured it would be the same as when you were at college and i'd get used to it and be ok... but for some reason, knowing that your way over there, and knowing that i cant drive an hour and a half to go see you at college if i really wanted to see you, it just makes me miss you a lot more. i wish i could see you, even if it was for a couple hours... i miss you Andrea... and i wish you were here... or i wish i was wherever you are... it doesnt really matter where. just as long as i would get to see you. i love you andrea... and i miss you... so much...
~holly~
Post a Comment