I’ve begun to make friends with a couple of random people on board, outside of the band. One is a waiter named Mario who’s about my age. He keeps telling me to come eat in the officer’s mess even though I’m not supposed to, because he works there. He was one of the first people I met here, and is very friendly. My other friend is Luis, the tailor. He’s a really funny, happy, fatherly man who always says my name loudly in his Guatemalan accent whenever he sees me. He is the one from whom I got my uniform. Also, he was happy to hem my black performance dress for me, for free. When they found out I was from Los Angeles, both of these new friends asked if I spoke Spanish, which I thought was funny. Lucky for me, I do. ☺
Then, yesterday I was looking over the Crew newsletter, and happened to see a small ad for Spanish Bible study classes. The first one was happening that night, at 11:15pm. It was the first time I’d seen any info for Christian activities among the crew. Since I do speak a little Spanish, I thought I’d go sit in the back somewhere and listen. I walked in, and guess who was there? Both Luis and Mario!! What are the odds of my two new friends both being at this small gathering of like 8 people? God is amazing! It was so wonderful to find out that they are not only friends but also my brothers in Christ. It also made me feel really comfortable to stay at the meeting, knowing they were there. They were surprised to see me, too. So last night was incredible. I found the church – God’s people – on board. We sang worship songs, prayed for each other, and listened to a teaching on the word of God. The church service (cause that’s what is was) lasted about 2 hours. I was so happy to find a body of believers, however small, that I cried a little. They were so welcoming to me, and prayed for me. I have found a church home here, and I have been so blessed. I am so thankful to God – it is amazing how He is taking care of me and working things out for me. This church meets three or four times a week, and now I get to be a part of that. They are so sincere in their love for God. I keep thanking God for last night, and for the many nights to come. Also, this got me thinking – you know, if I didn’t speak Spanish, I never would have found and connected with these believers onboard. Perhaps my desire to learn this language, and all the years of study that followed, have been preparing me for this very moment. Maybe this is why I was supposed to learn Spanish – to get me through my months here, united with other believers on board. If last night was the only reason, it is enough. Praise God!
Mont Blanc
Saturday, May 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
That is so amazing! God is so good!
Just so you know, I started to cry when reading this post. I am so excited for you that you have found a christian family on board, and that your two friends are christians as well. ....and no need to be modest... we ALL know you know more than a "little" spanish! (anyone who speaks spanish in their sleep has got to be fluent!) :P
yay answered prayer!
WOW! I teared up a little while reading this! God is so amazing and I know he will continue to do wonderful things for you!
I'm so happy for you! Praise God! He is definitely taking care of you and has His hand on your cruise/job. :D
God is so good! Oh, and I agree with Chelsea on your Spanish modesty - didn't you graduate with some sort of Spanish honor or something? LOL. You are such an amazing woman of God and He will be with you and take care of you no matter where you are and no matter how you feel or what you do - just remember that and that I am always praying for you! Love you roomie!
Thanks for commenting, you guys. God IS so good. As soon as I got back to my cabin that night all I could do was cry and thank God. He is amazing. He has blessed me with wonderful friends and family like you, too.
"In the beginning was the word and the word was with God..."
hahahaha....love you! and i am so glad that things are going well.
This "Luis" sounds like a capital fellow.
(For future reference, "Metaphysician_delta" is my display name on blogspot.)
Praise God! Glory, Hallelujah! So excited to hear about the answer to prayer.
Post a Comment